10 reasons why we love learning Italian
Love has to be a word associated with Italy, where France and particularly Paris may pip Italians to the post when it comes to romance, Italy wins hands down for passion. The rhythm of the Italian language lends itself to expressing earnest, deep, heartfelt enthusiasm which when accompanied by the emphatic gesticulating they are renowned for will overwhelmingly convince you that Italians love everything.. from their food to their families and their cars to their clothes.. On the love to hate list would be politicians and bureaucracy but we’re not going to dwell on those here!
Here are some reasons to love learning Italian:
1. Food – Italian food is a worldwide favourite, whilst the best recipes can be very simple the pronunciation can tie your tongue up in knots.. lots of practise will lead to confident ordering and a good relationship with the waiter!
2. Cars – Just a few reasons to love being able to speak Italian: Lamborghini, Ferrari, Maserati ..not forgetting Alfa Romeo, Lancia and Fiat. Not only do Italians know how to make the most beautiful cars ever.. they also know how to drive them. Driving in Italy is n art form.
3. Fashion – Italy produces some of the most sought after clothes designers in the world. Versace, Gucci, Fendi, Dolce & Gabbana, Armani, Prada, Valentino are worldwide legends. A good knowledge of Italian will allow you to saunter down Via Montenapoleone with ease.
4. Football – If you love football then Italy is the place to watch a match and celebrate afterwards like there is no tomorrow. Football is practically a religion in Italy. Every Weekend thousands and thousands of people leave their home to watch watches live, many more watch from a cafe and even more will be discussing the results on a Monday.
5. Art – Michaelangelo, Raphael, Titian, Caravagio, Boticelli, de Chirico and Leonardo da Vinci should convince you of the importance of Italian art. According to UNESCO, over 60% of the world’s art treasures are found in Italy.
6. Opera – Love it or loathe it understanding Italian will at least allow you to decipher that there is story involved! Italian has long been the language of choice for Opera partly due to the origins of the art form stemming from Italy and partly due to the beautiful sound of the Italian language.
7. Romans – Roman culture had significant impact on the development of western culture. The rise and fall of the Roman Empire is an epic worth understanding.
8. Latin – Italian is the closest of all the romance languages to Latin so will help you to decipher ancient inscriptions as you roam the streets of Rome.
9. Wine – Italy has a long history of winemaking and has remained true to its roots by maintaining over 2000 indigenous varieties of grapes leading to an enormous variety of different wines from over 20 wine regions for you to sample.
10. Finally you’ll be able to sing “just one cornetto, give it to me” to the words of O Sole Mio with authentic Italian gusto!
Did we miss anything on your list of reasons to learn Italian?