10 compelling reasons to learn French
French is one of those languages that has high interest from all over the world. Below we highlight 10 reasons to learn French:
1. French is the official language used to announce events, winners and medals at the Olympic Games.
2. French is the 2nd most influential language in the world and the 2nd most learnt language.
3. France has the 5th largest economy in the world.
4. French is the 5th most spoken language in the world.
5. French is renowned as the language of love and Paris as the capital of romance.
6. French is one of the easier languages to learn – 750 hours of learning and practice will get you to an advanced level. The same time spent on Arabic, Chinese, Japanese will only result in a low level of fluency.
7. Learning French helps you learn other languages, notably the Latin languages (Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, and Romanian) but also English as French provided more than 50% of the English vocabulary.
8. French is the language of work and the official language of the UN, the European Union, UNESCO, NATO, the International Red Cross plus many more international judicial groups.
9. An understanding of French is essential if you are interested in the history and future of Philosophy, Art, Food, Wine, Fashion, Literature, and Cinema. France has won more Nobel prizes for literature than any other country..
10. 70 million people visit France every year, their visit is certainly enhanced by being able to communicate in French.
Please tell us your reasons why you are learning French in the comments below 🙂