10 top stats on the Spanish Language around the World and on the Internet.
Below we highlight 10 top stats on the Spanish language…
- Spanish is spoken by 517 million people worldwide, four fifths of these are native speakers, one fifth are second or third language Spanish speakers.
- Spanish ranks as the world’s No. 2 language in terms of how many people speak it as their first language. It is slightly ahead of English (328 million) but far behind Chinese (1.2 billion).
- Spanish is the fourth mostly geographically widely spoken language behind English (112 countries), French (60) and Arabic (57). (Source: Ethnologue)
- Spanish is the third most used language in 2013 on the Internet, after – you guessed it; English and Mandarin, according to a recent report by the ICC*.
- The Caro y Cuervo Institute* also estimated that 7.8 percent of daily worldwide Internet users have Spanish as their first language.
- Spanish-language content across the web has increased by 807.4 percent in the past 10 years.
- Spanish is fourth in terms of content managed by Wikipedia.org
- Spanish speakers make up the second largest linguistic group with more than 90 million users on Facebook.com
- 18 million speakers are currently learning Spanish as a second language or a language of culture.
- The Spanish speaking population of the United States has grown by 43% since the year 2000. 16.3% of the US population is Spanish with more than 38 million first language Spanish speakers. Interestingly the US has no “official” language.
Make that 11! Just had to include that Spanish is the 2nd most used language on Twitter ( ranked by total number of users).
*Instituto Caro y Cuervo (ICC)